If you want funding for your ABA programme this may be obtained by getting an EHC Plan (Education, Health and Care Plan; formerly a Statement of Special Educational Needs) for your child from your Local Authority.

An overview of the EHC Plan process can be found on the Department of Education website. Details of the process are in the Department of Education SEND Code of Practice. The charity ACE (Advisory Centre for Education) is also a useful source of advice and information.

Parents who are going through the EHC Plan process can call our helpline on 01344 882248 for specific advice about how to argue for ABA in the final draft of the plan.

Child Autism UK has a list of solicitors and educational psychologists that specialise in ABA cases.  These lists are available from our office or by logging into the members’ area.

The EHC Plan process can be very stressful for parents.  Our top five tips are:

  1. Familiarise yourself with the code of practice for special educational needs,  (Process is important).
  2. Keep contemporaneous notes of all telephone conversations with Local Authority officers
  3. Ask for the minutes of any meetings and ask for the minutes to be changed if you feel they are inaccurate. If they are not changed ask for a letter outlining your request to be filed with the minutes.
  4. Try and find a parent in your area who has successfully obtained funding for ABA and learn from their experience.
  5. Video your child at all stages so that you can demonstrate clearly the progress he or she has made. A video speaks louder than words.